|HAMAT NK BAH|
3. Executive reforms shall be undertaken to make the cabinet more responsive to standards of best practice established in implementing laws, orders and policies designed to guide the operation of the various departments of state and further make it a practice for cabinet members to face the media to explain the policies of government and receive opinions on the impact they are making on the population. Effect total separation between party and state
4. National Assembly reforms shall be instituted to amend provisions that enable the President to dissolve the National Assembly or empower a party to remove a national assembly member by virtue of party disputes. It shall strengthen parliamentary oversight, and safeguard the immunities of parliamentarians against executive encroachment.
5. Judicial reforms shall be undertaken to ensure that there is no executive presence or manipulation of the Judicial Service Commission. All district tribunals and adjudicating bodies shall be under the judiciary and the appointment and removal of magistrates and arbitrators in courts shall be done by a separate judicial service commission that is completely independent of the executive. Schemes of best practice shall be incorporated to ensure speedy justice.
6. Reform of prisons shall be effected to ensure that they are transformed into correctional rather than punitive institutions. Community service shall be given primacy over custodial sentences; prisons shall be organized in such a way that they serve as conducive environment to rehabilitate prisoners. Maximum security wing of prisons shall cease to be detention centres. Prison administrators shall not be subjected to any other dictate but that of the law and best practice in prison administration.
7. Reform of police, the military and security services shall be undertaken to promote the performance of duty on the basis of law and best practice. Measures shall be put in place to protect such personnel for non compliance with unlawful instructions especially politically motivated ones.
8. Establishment and consolidation of Independent Oversight institutions like the office of Ombudsman to look into employment matters in both the public and private sector, women and children affairs, the disabled, pensioners and human rights. Such commissions shall be empowered to receive reports and conduct investigations on complaints of violation or non compliance with laws and international conventions designed to protect the rights and interests of given categories of people in society who may be more vulnerable to discrimination or marginalization.
9. Separation of the function of Attorney General with the function of Secretary of State for Justice and Human Rights. The office of Attorney General shall serve as a state function free from any political influence so that any intervention by the Attorney General in the judicial process will be motivated by the pursuit of the interest of Justice. The Department of State for Justice and Human Rights shall oversee the incorporation of all international, continental and regional conventions into domestic laws to promote economic, social, political and cultural rights and ensure that they inform policy and practice in state administration.
10. Promote popular participation in decision making by developing partnership with civil society organizations and empower them to articulate and protect the concerns of farmers and workers, the disabled, women, children, pensioners, the elderly, youth, owners of income generating enterprises, members of the chamber of commerce, media practitioners and those living with HIV/Aids and other categories or interest groups.
11. Ensuring the protection of the media to receive and give information and hold all state organs accountable and responsible for their manner of service to the people. The state media shall be opened up to convey divergent views. The media shall be encouraged to hold all public service delivery institutions and elected officials accountable to the public. The media practitioners shall pioneer the establishment of a self regulating media commission to promote professionalism, ethical conduct and standards of best practice in journalism.